30 December, 2011

Unconditional Love


UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. 
What is unconditional love? Is it something that can be experienced by everybody in his or her life? I had these doubts and more, when I was asked to write on this topic. Honestly, I googled about it, searched Wikipedia, but none of their articles could arouse in me the emotions that this word possesses! 
I’ve said this to so many people in my life, “I hate you for not doing this for me! It was such a simple task!” Unconditional love means to love someone, regardless of one’s actions and beliefs. When a sentence I use in everyday life with the ones I love doesn’t display unconditional love, then how can I ever be eligible to write about this? 
With these thoughts in mind, I decided that I would write about this topic only when I experience it. I also decided to reach out to my loved ones, reduce my conditions and start loving unconditionally. If there is a person on this planet who will let one make mistakes, hurt her in a way nobody else can and yet love without limits, it is a mother. The pain and suffering she endures in her womb for nine months doesn’t bring out any negativity in her. Instead, it strengthens the bond and she establishes a pre-natal connection towards her child. Failing a test, spoiling your name at school, creating problems, making her stand in front of the principal’s office, paying fines for misbehavior, nothing deters her love for her child. A mother never expects anything in return from her child for her love. Neither does she impose conditions on a child to gain her love! That’s unconditional love.
My mother and I had several problems during my adolescence. We detached ourselves from each other (or so I thought). We had constant arguments, fights and uncontrollable tears. Our emotions were all over the place. I decided to fix our bond and started to make an ‘effort’. It was then that I realized how dumb I had been. I had complicated things by moving away from her, when all she had tried to do was understand that horrible phase of my life. I decided to start by spending an hour with her everyday. There were no negative emotions in her! She had already forgiven me! It was I, who had detached myself, trying to deal with my problems, but had instead, complicated them. The fact that my mom accepted and ignored my temper and my weaknesses, but had focused on my love for her startled me. That’s unconditional love.
As a kid, all of us loved unconditionally. We held no grudges towards people who did us bad, no extra love for the good doers and no conditions did we impose on the ones we loved most. We saw all our loved ones as equals and kissed, cuddled and hugged with equal intensity. There was no friend, close friend and best friend. Everybody was our friend. We didn’t know to hurt, dominate or bully others. Our feelings and emotions were pure and innocent. That’s unconditional love.
Jesus died on the cross, so that his believers do not have to pay for their sins or suffer an eternal death. Krishna fought the demons to ensure his believers a happy life. God loved his followers and was willing to go through anything for them. That’s unconditional love.

Love is everywhere. It’s there in the person who helps the old woman cross the road. It’s there in the traffic policeman’s heart. A love for safety. It’s even there with flower vendors. A love for flowers. Critics love too. Not just their families, but the work they critic, be it movies or books. We have a career because we love what we’re doing. Unconditional love towards our careers. Fantastic, isn’t it? Look into the world around you and you will discover the various forms in which unconditional love exists.
I’ve come a long way from where I’ve started. From not knowing to love to giving out love unconditionally. Amazing progress right? It isn’t easy, but it’s worth all the effort. You will be reciprocated with twice of what you give and you would be harvesting in a relationship that will last for eternity.

LET’S LOVE UNCONTIONALLY AND GIVE OURSELVES IN WHOLE TO THE ONES WE LOVE AND THE ONES WHO LOVE US! =)

12 comments:

  1. Delinda Marzio CaldsworthJanuary 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

    A very beautiful topic written in a manner exclusive to you. Message is very well delivered. :)
    Your getting better with every article!!

    Love,
    Del

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karan Takewade MehraJanuary 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

    Aaekay! A very beautiful piece!!! :)
    Your writing is very precise, moving and makes one think.
    Lovely work.

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS AMAZING!! =)
    After being through a life-changing situation and giving up hope that love exists, you spot it out yet again the love keeps the world going.
    The best of all. Or who knows? The way you churn articles, I might say that the upcoming one is the best! =)
    Thank you for inspiring me to love once again.
    Love you unconditionally Abi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made me think. Do I love anybody unconditionally? That's when it struck me. Yes. I try to never impose conditions in that one relationship in my life. My fiance & I share a beautiful relationship and I hope that you continue to inspire people with your articles the way you always do to me.
    Hats off love!
    Keep smiling! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the lovely comments everybody. Really appreciated. =)

    @Karan: Get well soon and congratulations on the great news!! =)

    @Ankriti: Love exists in every nook and corner. It is in the eyes of the beholder to see the beauty in it, appreciate it and fall in love with it. Never give up hope. Do give me a ring when you have the time!

    @Simran: Congratulations on your engagement!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stumbled across your blog from somewhere and I am glad I did.
    Very well written by an 18-year old.
    God Bless you with all the happiness you deserve.
    Happy new year to you and your family.

    Regards,
    Priyanka Pillai

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Priyanka Pillai:
    I have no idea who you are, but you took out the time to comment on my work and appreciate it.
    Please know that your kind gesture has really made my day!! =)
    Thank you very much and a happy new year to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. simply splendid!!i love your way of writings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the way you summed up unconditional love. Nice post.

    Although I am wondering if expecting a reward from the universe, for loving unconditionally, makes it conditional again?

    Ah! Its a concept i m TRYING to decipher since long:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aishwarya. :)
      Haha yes, it makes it conditional love!!!

      Delete