04 January, 2012

My thoughts on a quote I stumbled across.

"Success occurs in private, but failure always comes into the limelight."
Isn't this quote so true? All of us remember what a person couldn't achieve than what he/she has  accomplished in life. There are so many examples I can provide in this context.

In daily life, don't we all say, "My sister can't even clean the kitchen after she cooks!" If you read between the lines, it means that she is allowed access to the kitchen. That roughly translates into, "My sister is a good/great cook!" 
Moving on to sports. In football, all of us remember that one goal our favorite goalkeeper missed. In cricket, all of us remember how many times Sachin Tendulkar got out with nil runs. We don't remember and reminiscent the sixes Yuvraj Singh scored during the IPL or Pele's record. 
Politics. All of us say how every political team never did anything about power cuts and poor water supply. But do we even vote to have a say on what they do? Or do we even acknowledge the good things (like educational facilities, public transportation) that the government does for its public?
Personal achievements. How many times have you caught yourself saying, "No, I can't cook/sing/dance/speak in public.."? I'm not asking you to sing praises in your glory, but appreciate and share the tasks that you are good at. You will probably be able to help another person who lacks all the proclamation you happen to have in that field. 
Grade cards. This has happened with all of us at some point of time in our life. We bring our grade cards home after the finals and our parents quiz us on why we have lost two marks in Mathematics (no, I've never got anything more than an 80 in Math!). Appreciate the improvements and achievements first! If you've got two marks more in any subject, your efforts deserve to be appreciated. No, not a standing ovation. But a word of encouragement and a praise to boost your confidence. How long does that take to say?

I can go on and on with examples, but I think you catch the point. Failure should motivate you to succeed. It should be the stepping stone to success. Every small success should encourage you to try bigger things with small leaps. 
Let's start by appreciating people's failures, cause they get closer to success with every failure (no, I'm not justifying a failure with no work done).

"Be the change you want to see."
-Mahatma Gandhi

*I intend nothing when I have used the names of Sportsmen & Political Institutions.*
*A word of THANKS to Prashant Iyer for inspiring me to write an article with a quote submitted by him on his blog! :)*

8 comments:

  1. Good one! :)
    It's something that happens around us all the time. Appreciation requires a big heart and criticism requires jealousy and a flair for perfection.
    Well written!
    Found your blog while clicking 'Next blog' on Blogger! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Rina! :)
    I'm not sure about one viewpoint that you have endorsed. I don't believe that criticism requires jealousy. Criticism requires an eye for details, a love for perfection and a constant willpower to push into making the best better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) splendid!! must read for everyone out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Preshu!!! :)
    You've become my avid follower! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delinda Marzio CaldsworthJanuary 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

    A very good post!
    Looking forward to many more such inspiring, brainstorming, reality exposing posts from you.
    Happy new year to you and your family.

    Spread love and good cheer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Del! :)
    Happy new year to you and your family too. :)
    Loads of love coming your way! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish there were more people who thought like you.
    Its Life, but I hope a change will come soon.
    Loved our post:), as always thought provoking.
    Love you. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that nobody thinks like me! That's what makes us all unique Akhil. :)
      Thank you and you too have a great week.
      Hugs! :)

      Delete